Friday, September 7, 2007

Eight-Eight-Oh-Eight

Cantonese's articulation and pronunciation for eight (baat) sounds similar to the word that signifies 'prosperity' (paat). In Cantonese, eight reads as 'Fa', which means to make a great fortune in the near future. Eight is considered the most fortuitous of numbers.

I am half Cantonese on my mother's side, but in truth, this had very little to do with why I wanted to get married on 8/8/08. Eight has been my favorite number since I was a very little girl. I remember wanting to be 8 years old forever, and I thought it was really cool that my bus number in kindergarten was bus 8. Sometime in high school, I tried justifying it because 8 on its side looks like the infinity symbol, and that is how much I wanted to be loved. Then somewhere around college I realized how cheesy that sounded so I just stuck with it being my favorite number. Only after we had set the date did I come across some of the significance in my heritage that makes 8/8/08 a very fitting day for us to get married. Hey, maybe I wasn't adopted after all!

No comments: